Beeswax is a classic lipstick ingredient that dates back to the early 1900s when commercial lipsticks were first introduced.
• 1⁄4 cup grated beeswax
• 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
• 2 tablespoons cocoa butter
• 1 tablespoon light oil, such as almond, sunflower or canola
1. Mix together all ingredients in a heat-resistant container.
2. Heat the mixture gently in the microwave or on the stovetop until just melted. Stir well until you have a pale golden liquid.
3. Pour melted mixture into lipstick tubes or a shallow oiled pan. Allow mixture to cool completely. If using a pan, unmold and cut the hardened mixture into small sticks. Wrap each stick in aluminum foil.
Janice Cox and her daughter, Lauren Cox, co-authored EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends (Ten Speed Press, 2009). Find it at www.herbcompanion.com/shopping .
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Get Gorgeous Skin With Honey .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE