Low on space? Use these tips for an impressive harvest for small space gardening.
1. Select ‘compact,’ ‘dwarf’ and ‘mini’ varieties.
2. Plant seeds closely and harvest vegetables small, following with successional sowings.
3. Use any sunny plot of land you have, plus containers. Replace soil in pots yearly to avoid disease.
4. Avoid crops that mature slowly (such as bulb onions and winter brassicas) and those that take up a lot of space (such as potatoes and most types of zucchini).
5. Grow carrots, turnips and beets, which produce small, tender roots quickly, and fast-growing green, leafy vegetables such as spinach.
6. Grow tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in pots, cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets, and beans and cucumbers vertically on trellises.
Check out 10 Easy to Grow Vegetables if you are a beginner or a gardener who's short on time.