Try this homemade green cleaner recipe.
Cleaning the refrigerator isn’t anyone’s favorite job. To make the chore a little easier on you—and the environment—try our natural cleanser recipe and eco-conscious tips.
1. To conserve power while cleaning, turn the refrigerator off or the temperature all the way up.
2. Fill a spray bottle with No-Rinse Green Clean (recipe below).
3. Working from the top of the fridge to the bottom, remove all the food from one shelf at a time. Discard items that are spoiled or past their expiration dates. Wipe down the rest of the food containers using No-Rinse Green Clean and a clean cloth.
4. Remove the refrigerator shelf unit and wash in a sink filled with hot water and a few tablespoons of castile soap or dish soap and a cup of white distilled vinegar. Rinse and set aside to dry.
5. While the shelf is out, spray the area inside of the fridge with No-Rinse Green Clean and wipe with a clean dry cloth.
6. Replace the shelf and the food. Then proceed downward through the rest of the refrigerator compartments. Before you replace the last shelf or drawer, clean the fridge floor.
7. Don’t forget to set the refrigerator’s temperature to normal when you’ve finished!
Keep an open box of baking soda in your refrigerator to keep smells at bay. When you change the box, get double duty from the old one by pouring it into the kitchen sink. Follow it with hot water to leave the drains clean and fresh.
No-Rinse Green Clean
Cuts grease, disinfects and leaves a clean, natural scent—without harsh chemicals.
1 cup white distilled vinegar
2 cups hot water
5 to 10 drops lavender essential oil
Mix all ingredients together and stir or shake thoroughly.