Try these 10 products to clean up your indoor environment.
1. Vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters can rid your floors and carpets of all but the most minute allergy- and illness-causing particles. Miele Vacuums make a series of canister-style vacuums featuring HEPA filters. S314 model: $649. (800) 843-7231
2. Natural Home Design Center’s all-wool Biohaus carpet is made without synthetic glues, dyes, synthetic latex, stain repellents, or mothproofing. $40 to $60 per yard. (707) 571-1229;
3. Use the IonLite as you would a standard 60- or 75-watt light bulb, but you get the benefits of negative ions, which help rid indoor air of bacteria, dust, pollens, and other health-compromising culprits. In addition, negative ions increase production of serotonin, the brain’s feel-good chemical. $29.95. (661) 255-3024
4. Best Paint’s indoor and outdoor paints and primers contain very few (or no) potentially harmful gases known as volatile organic compounds (VOCs). $26 to $38 per gallon. (206) 783-9938
5. EcoWater Systems’ reverse-osmosis water-treatment system dramatically reduces impurity levels in water—while also reducing energy bills by helping your water heater work more efficiently. Prices for whole-home systems vary widely. (800) 808-9899
6. Sweating in a sauna helps your body detoxify, but aromatic woods and synthetic glues in many home saunas can be problematic for those with chemical sensitivities or allergies. Heavenly Heat’s custom saunas are made from non-aromatic white poplar with no synthetic adhesives, fiberglass, plexiglass, or varnish. Available through EcoMall. $2,800 to $5,000. (845) 679-2490;
7. Clean up your home and the environment at the same time with unscented household cleaning products without petrochemical-based ingredients. Ecover makes a complete line of plant-based cleaners in its Belgian “eco-factory.” From $2.59.
8. Formaldehyde, a known human carcinogen, can lurk in your home’s insulation. Johns Manville makes several types of formaldehyde-free insulation. Prices vary depending upon product, R-value, and building size. (800) 654-3103
9. Black mold growing in your house can contribute to a host of health problems. Check for mold with a simple, do-it-yourself mold test kit such as this one from Pro-Lab. $9.95. (954) 384-4446
10. Help remove allergy-aggravating mold spores, pollen, and dust particles with specially designed furnace filters. Filtrete, from 3M, makes replaceable filters approved by the American Lung Association for its “Health House” designation. $5.49 to $19.99. (888) 364-3577
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE