How well do you know your organics?
This year, why not celebrate Earth Day (April 22) by eating more organic foods? To whet your appetite, take this quiz, co-created by Go Organic! for Earth Day and the Earth Day Network. Check www.OrganicEarthDay.org for information on organics (including fun games and quizzes) and a store locator to find organic groceries, restaurants and farmer’s markets in your state.
1. Number of children who ingest 15 or more pesticides from fruits and vegetables daily:
b. 1 million
c. A googleplex
2. The number of miles most food travels before it reaches your plate:
a. 75 miles
b. 1,000 miles
c. 1,500 miles
3. Amount of energy that organic farms usually save compared with conventional farms?
a. 5 percent
b. 25 percent
c. 50 percent
4. A pregnant mother can reduce her baby’s exposure to pollutants from conventional farming by doing what?
a. eating an organic diet
b. taking baths
c. nursing her baby
1. b. 1 million. Pesticides pose special concerns to children because of their high metabolisms and low body weights.
2. c. 1,500 miles. That’s a lot of wasted fuel.
3. c. 50 percent
4. a. Eating organic. Persistent pesticides show up in food even years after they’re banned. Scientists have found chlordane residues in vegetables planted in ground that was heavily treated with chlordane 38 years earlier.
Excerpted by permission: www.EarthDay.org
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE