This homemade gift comes with everything you need for a rich, saffron-seasoned meal.
Risotto is a creamy rice often misunderstood by Americans, who generally believe that rice is meant to be fluffy. This risotto mix can be prepared in a standard microwave oven. Times may need to be adjusted for very low- or high-power microwaves.
• 1/4 teaspoon (or more) saffron (thread or powdered)
• 2 tablespoons dehydrated onion
• 2 tablespoons instant chicken, beef, or mushroom bouillon
• 1 cup raw arborio or sushi rice
• 2 tablespoons shelf-stable Parmesan cheese (the kind that does not need to be refrigerated)
1. Put the parmesan in a small plastic bag. 2. Combine the saffron, dehydrated onion, bouillon, and half the rice in a plastic bag; shake. 3. Put the bag of parmesan on top of the rice in a glass jar and cap. 4. Put a square of cloth over the top and secure with a rubber band. Keep refrigerated; use within 3 weeks.
• contents of jar
• 1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
• 3 1/8 cups water
1. Stir the rice mixture and oil together in a tall, 2-quart glass bowl. 2. Microwave on high, uncovered, for two minutes. 3. Add the water. Microwave for another 18 minutes, stirring after 9 minutes. 4. Cover with a lid and let rest for 5 minutes. 5. Stir in the cheese. Let rest another 5 minutes before serving.
Read the original article: Homemade Herbal Gift Ideas.
Debbie Whittaker, a frequent contributor to The Herb Companion, demonstrates her healthy cooking style as the “Herb Gourmet” in Denver, Colorado.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE