This less-sweet syrup infused with rosemary and orange juice concentrate works perfectly as a glaze for any savory dish.
MAKES 2 1/2 CUPS
• 1 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
• 2 cups dry white wine
• 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
• 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
• 4 teaspoons peppercorns
1. Bring the ingredients to a gentle boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
2. Continue boiling for 2 minutes, then simmer, covered, for 5 minutes longer. Cool and strain.
• Use this lighter, less-sweet syrup to glaze poultry.
• Drizzle lightly over fresh fruit or cheeses such as mozzarella, chévre or cream or farmer’s cheese.
• Mix a little into soda water and serve over ice between the courses of a rich meal as a palate cleanser.
• Substitute thyme, sage, or marjoram for the rosemary.
• Top half a cored and sliced ripe pear with 2 tablespoons of peppered goat cheese, 1 to 2 tablespoons of syrup and a few walnut halves.
Check out the original article, Sweeten Your Breakfast with Herbal Syrup.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE