Say "I love you" with this homemade treat.
This Valentine’s Day, surprise your loved ones with these homemade candy hearts. You can make them the old-fashioned way, using heart-shaped candy molds from antique or thrift stores, or use new soft-plastic molds from high-end kitchen retailers.
Lemon-infused organic olive oil
2 cups light organic corn syrup
3½ cups organic sugar
1 cup water
1½ teaspoons organic cinnamon
2 teaspoons all-natural or organic red food coloring
1. Gather candy-making molds. Brush a drop of lemon-infused organic olive oil into each mold to help keep the candy from sticking. Set aside molds.
2. In a large pan, combine corn syrup, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat and stir constantly until sugar is well-dissolved.
3. Raise heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Boil until candy thermometer registers 300 degrees F. (Be patient, it takes time to get the mixture this hot.)
4. Remove pan from heat and stir in cinnamon and red food color. Work quickly because the mixture hardens rapidly.
5. Gently pour mixture into prepared candy molds and let cool completely. When candy has hardened, gently turn molds upside down onto soft towels to free treats.
6. To give away the candy hearts in style, we tucked a pair inside a small recycled-glass bowl from Riverside Design Group and tied it all up with a vintage ribbon.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE