KyLynn Hull is a stay-at-home mom and dabbles in many things including writing, urban farming and raising backyard chickens. She writes regularly for garden and food blog, Green City Garden Girl - Bound by the Seasons
Mushroom & Leek Soup
This soup is simple and tasty. To give my mushroom and leek soup a heartier feel, I add chopped yellow potatoes. Adding wine to most things, especially soups, also just makes my day. It gives me an excuse to open a bottle while cooking and have a glass.
Yellow potatoes give this mushroom and leek soup a hearty feel. Photo By Michael Verhoef/Courtesy Flickr.
2 medium leeks
3/4 pound mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
5-6 yellow potatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 of 14-ounce veggie broth
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1. Wash leeks well and cut in 1/4 inch-thick rounds. Thinly slice mushrooms.
2. Cover the bottom of a sauce pan in olive oil and heat. Saute leeks about 5 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, garlic, carrot and celery and saute until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms begin to brown.
4. Add wine and boil 1 minute.
5. Add broth and chopped potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender.
5. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with chives or scallions.
Discover more inexpensive recipes for homemade soups by reading the original blog, "Green City Garden Girl: Soup Season: Why I Love Soup!"
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE