When my Aunt Patsy introduced me to her creamy white chili recipe last Christmas, I couldn’t get enough. I immediately fell in love with the dish. In addition to its appetizing flavors, there’s an added bonus: It’s healthier than many other traditional chili recipes.
The skinless, wheat meat chicken is lower in total fat and saturated fat than beef, which is often the main ingredient of chili recipes. In addition, the reduced-sodium chicken broth adds a light, low-fat base that will provide flavor but not fat. The cumin included in the recipe helps stimulate metabolism by turning up the body’s internal heat while it warms your body from the outside as well.
So, without further ado, I give you my favorite cold-weather dish and what I consider the best white chili recipe: Creamy White Chili.
Give this creamy white chili recipe a try. I know you'll love it as much as I do.
Photo by essgee51/Courtesy Flickr
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
• Two 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• Three 15-ounce cans great northern beans, rinsed
• 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 4 cups diced cooked skinless chicken
• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in chiles, oregano, cumin and cayenne.
4. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in beans and broth; bring to a simmer.
6. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
7. Add chicken and vinegar.
8. Cook for 5 more minutes.
9. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, and sprinkle cheese on top, if desired.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE