Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and with Thanksgiving comes lots and lots of holiday decorations, such as the winter wreath.
Wreaths are a simple way to add personality and bring botanical beauty to your home. If you're anxious to try your hand at DIY decorations, try this herbal project: a wreath made of cinnamon sticks. This delicious decoration welcomes visitors and wafts a wonderful scent.
Here’s what you need to get started with this super simple project:
• Wooden wreath ring (Check your local crafts store)
• 80 to 120 6-inch cinnamon sticks (I found bags of 20 at Michaels)
• Glue gun and glue sticks
• Seasonal ribbon
1. Choose one side of your wreath ring; hot glue the thickest cinnamon sticks onto its base, working your way around the ring. Angle the cinnamon sticks so that they point outward with a natural slant.
2. Continue to layer your cinnamon sticks on top of each other until you like the way your wreath is looking. Fill in any gaps you spot with thinner cinnamon sticks as needed. I ended up with two layers of cinnamon sticks, but if I had bought more cinnamon sticks I think I would have been happier with three layers—it would have made my wreath look a little more lush. So if you agree, stock up on about 100 to 120 cinnamon sticks instead of 80.
Photos by Gina DeBacker
3. Decorate with a seasonal ribbon and hang your winter wreath.
I love this wreath. It's modern, unique and fills my house with the enticing aroma of Christmas. What do you think? Will you try your hand at DIY decorations this year?
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE