Which grain was first farmed nearly 10,000 years ago? Which grain was revered as one of five sacred crops in ancient China? Which grain is mentioned in the Old Testament, the writings of Herodotus, and the journals of Marco Polo? The answer is millet! This versatile grain is gluten-free, easy to digest and a good source of fiber. Enjoy whole grain millet as a unique alternative to rice in salads, stir-fries and porridge.
Turn a simple stir-fry into something special by using millet instead of rice.
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup millet
• 2 tablespoon oil
• 1 cup sliced onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
• 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
• 1 cup sliced carrot
• 5 ounces canned water chestnuts
• 1/4 cup cashew pieces
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Bring water and salt to a boil in a pot. Add millet and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts. Cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 7-10 minutes. Add millet and cashews.
3. Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and cornstarch. Pour over stir-fry and cook until sauce is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods, a distinctive stone grinding miller of whole grains, was founded in 1978 with the mission of moving people back to the basics with healthy whole grains, high-fiber and complex carbohydrates. Bob’s Red Mill, now an employee-owned company, offers a diverse line of more than 400 all natural, organic and gluten-free flours, cereals, meals and mixes for pancakes, breads and soups that are available throughout the world. With its dedicated gluten-free manufacturing facility and strict organic protocols, the company has emerged as a leader in providing safe and delicious natural, organic and gluten-free products.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE