With spring brings fresh ingredients. And what better way to use fresh harvested herbs than in a flavorful homemade pesto. Whip up this snappy pesto and pair it with buckwheat for a delicious grain salad. This recipe, courtesy Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods and Melanie of Nutritious Eats, uses Bob’s Red Mill Buckwheat Groats and was an entry for the 1994 Buckwheat Recipe Contest.
The buckwheat groats, hulled seeds of the buckwheat plant, only take about 20 minutes on the stove top to fully cook, so you won’t have to brace the heat for very long. Although buckwheat is what makes this dish truly unique, you can easily substitute with another one of your favorite grains such as millet, wheat berries or quinoa. Serve alongside a slice of crusty bread or sliced veggies for a simple spring meal. Check back next week for another great recipe from Bob’s Red Mill.
[Photo courtesy Melanie of Nutritious Eats.]
• 2 1/2 cups water
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Buckwheat Groats
• 1 tablespoons butter, softened
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1/2 cup chopped Bob’s Red Mill Walnuts Baker’s Pieces
• 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
• 2 teaspoons dried basil
• 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1/2 cup sliced black olives
• Salt, to taste
• 1/2 cup soy bacon bits, for garnish (optional)
1. Boil water with salt. Add groats, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and leave pan covered for about 5 minutes, then fluff with fork. Set aside.
2. Mix butter, olive oil, garlic and walnuts together. In a separate bowl, combine parsley, basil, cheese and olives. Add butter mixture to groats, then add the parsley mixture. Salt to taste. Toss and serve. Sprinkle soy bacon on top, if desired. Serves 6.
Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods offers a diverse line of more than 400 all-natural, organic and gluten-free flours, cereals, meals and mixes for pancakes, breads and soups that are available all around the world.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE