Calabaza Con Oregano
Serves 4 as a main dish, 8 as a side dish
This simple dish has a lot going on with its contrasting and complementary sweet and sour flavors. It goes wonderfully well with a fried egg (Spanish style—i.e., fried in olive oil with a couple of cloves of garlic). Alternatively, serve as a vegetable with a roast dinner.
• 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Half a small pumpkin, chopped into chunks
• 2 to 3 garlic cloves
• 1 large tablespoon dried oregano
• 3 to 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan or heavy-bottomed saucepan.
2. Add pumpkin and stir until chunks are coated in oil.
3. Cover and turn heat down. Stir occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, use a mortar and pestle to pound garlic cloves, oregano and salt into a paste.
5. Combine paste with vinegar (add more or less vinegar, according to taste)
6. When pumpkin pieces are cooked, mash with a fork and turn off heat.
7. Stir in the oregano mixture and serve.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE