Calabaza Con Oregano
Serves 4 as a main dish, 8 as a side dish
This simple dish has a lot going on with its contrasting and complementary sweet and sour flavors. It goes wonderfully well with a fried egg (Spanish style—i.e., fried in olive oil with a couple of cloves of garlic). Alternatively, serve as a vegetable with a roast dinner.
• 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Half a small pumpkin, chopped into chunks
• 2 to 3 garlic cloves
• 1 large tablespoon dried oregano
• 3 to 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan or heavy-bottomed saucepan.
2. Add pumpkin and stir until chunks are coated in oil.
3. Cover and turn heat down. Stir occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, use a mortar and pestle to pound garlic cloves, oregano and salt into a paste.
5. Combine paste with vinegar (add more or less vinegar, according to taste)
6. When pumpkin pieces are cooked, mash with a fork and turn off heat.
7. Stir in the oregano mixture and serve.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE