Serve this dish with crusty bread and a bowl of olives or radishes.
Crisp scallions and tender asparagus stalks lightly seasoned and grilled make a fabulous first course or side dish.
Grilled Scallions and Asparagus
Serves 6 to 8
I like to serve asparagus and scallions together as a seasonal first course or side dish. Count on about four asparagus spears and three scallions per person. Serve them with crusty bread and a bowl of olives or radishes.
About 1 to 1 1/2 pounds asparagus
2 or 3 bunches of scallions
Fresh-ground black pepper
1. Prepare a medium-hot wood charcoal fire and place grate about 6 inches from the fire. Alternatively, use a stovetop grill or griddle over medium-high heat.
2. Wash and trim asparagus spears and peel the stem ends if desired. Wash the scallions and remove the outer layer if necessary. Trim the leafy ends, leaving about 2 to 3 inches of green.
3. Brush the vegetables lightly with olive oil.
4. Cooking time depends on how hot your fire is and the size of the vegetables. The asparagus will take 7 to 10 minutes to cook and the scallions 6 to 8 minutes. They should be cooked through but crisp enough to hold their shape. Turn them several times so they heat evenly and don’t get too brown.
5. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE