Serves 8 to 10
cup olive oil
• 1/3 cup tamari soy sauce
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1 pound tofu, cut into
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 large can red kidney beans, drained and liquid reserved
• 1 large can black beans, drained and liquid reserved
• 1 20-ounce can crushed plum tomatoes
• 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
• 2 tablespoon basil
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Mix the marinade ingredients and gently pour over the tofu until all the cubes are coated. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the vegetables are translucent. Add the mustard seeds.
2. Remove the tofu from the marinade with a slotted spoon and add it to the skillet. Sauté until the tofu is tawny and just sticks to the pan, about 10 minutes, turning with a spatula until all sides are brown.
3. In a slow cooker, combine the marinade, tofu-onion mixture, beans, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, cayenne, and enough bean liquid to just cover the ingredients. Cook on low setting at least 6 hours. Remove the lid to thicken the liquid if desired.
—David George, Wheaton, Maryland
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE