Serves 2 to 4
Turmeric and lemon suffuse this rice dish with brilliant color and delicate flavor.
• 1 lemon
• 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
• 1 cup long-grain white rice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
• 2 cups homemade chicken stock or water
1. Grate the rind and squeeze the juice of the lemon. Over low heat, melt the butter or oil in a skillet or broad saucepan.
2. Stir in the rice and turmeric and sauté until the rice grains appear transparent around the edges. Add the stock or water, lemon rind, and juice, and cover the pan. Over high heat, bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low and steam the rice 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
3. Serve immediately, using a fork to lift the rice from the pan.
Cornelia Carlson’s obsession with herbs and spices began in the mint-scented tangle of an abandoned herb garden behind her childhood home. In the decades since, she has planted extensive herb gardens in the Snow Belt, coastal California, and the southwestern desert. Currently living in Tucson, Arizona, Cornelia has a bachelor’s degree in food research and master’s and doctoral degrees in biochemistry. She’s now at work on a cookbook.
Click here for the original article, The Health Benefits of Turmeric .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE