The seasoning blends of India.
The flavor of toasted and ground spices will fill your kitchen when you make this masala. A blend similar to this one from South India may have inspired the British in their attempts to re-create the ultimate Indian “curry powder”.
• 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
• 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
• 1/2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
• 1/2 tablespoon split urad dal or yellow split peas
• 25 to 30 fresh curry leaves
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 6 to 8 whole dry chili pods
• 1/3 cup ground coriander
• 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
Toast the cumin, black mustard, and fenugreek seeds, the split dal, and the fresh curry leaves. Add the peppercorns and chili pods and grind the mixture to a fine powder. Add coriander and turmeric and mix well.
— David Merrill is managing editor of The Herb Companion and a great lover of spicy foods.
For more recipes from Beyond Curry Powder, click here.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE