Makes 16 brownies
Carob powder and chips are available in health-food stores. Recipe provided by Vicky Mosser.
• 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
• 2 tablespoons carob powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons green powdered stevia leaf
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup oil, or 1/3 cup applesauce
• 1/3 cup water
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 tablespoon vanilla
• 1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut
• 1/2 cup nuts
• 1/2 cup unsweetened carob chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, carob powder, baking powder, stevia, and salt. Stir in the oil, water, eggs, and vanilla, then fold in the remaining ingredients. Pour into a greased 8-by-8-inch pan. Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted slightly off center comes out clean. When cool, cut into bars.
David Richard is an herb enthusiast and a health writer/publisher who lives in a wooded area outside of Chicago. This article is adapted from his book Stevia Rebaudiana: Nature’s Sweet Secret (Blue Heron Press, 1997).
Click here for the main article, Stevia: Naturally Sweet Recipes .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE