For best quality, cook peas immediately after they’ve been picked. If you don’t have a vegetable garden, look for peas at your farmer’s market. They’ll make all the difference in this simple spring soup.
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
¼ pound potato, peeled and diced
1 pound fresh or frozen peas
3 cups water or light vegetable broth
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 tablespoon water
1. Cook shallots with a pinch of salt in oil until translucent.
2. Add potato and cook until soft.
3. Add peas and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Puree mixture with water or broth in blender.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Combine sour cream and 1 tablespoon water.
7. Drizzle loose cream over soup for garnish.
Wine pairing: 2007 Dundee Hills Pinot Noir
Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir shows earthiness and complexity—rich red fruit, mushroom and spice aromas accent flavors of black cherry and mocha. Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir pairs elegantly with the earthy notes of the peas and potatoes in this soup. $38
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE