Serve this scrambled tofu recipe alone or with black beans, fall salsa and tortillas.
Use pastured eggs or low-fat tofu in this heart-healthy dish.
This Herbie Scrambled Eggs or Scrambled Tofu Recipe is great for breakfast, brunch or lunch. Serve with warm tortillas, Cumin-Bay Black Beans and Fall Salsa. To keep your fingers from staining yellow, wear gloves when handling curry powder. SERVES 2
• 4 large, pastured eggs OR 14 ounces low-fat tofu (one container)
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 to 2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon ground dill
• 2 tablespoons low-fat blue cheese crumbles OR another low-fat cheese (optional)
• Dill or oregano herbs sprigs for garnish (optional)
1. Whisk egg whites OR rinse and drain tofu; mash with fork. Set aside.
2. Sauté onion in hot oil in a medium non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, Liquid Aminos, curry and other herbs and cook 1 additional minute.
3. Add egg whites or tofu. Scramble for 3 to 5 minutes; blend well with seasonings.
4. Stir in cheese crumbles. Top with fresh herbs.
Tip: Bragg Liquid Aminos, available at health food stores, is a tasty low-sodium alternative to soy sauce.
Letitia L. Star specializes in writing about healthy eating, gardening and green living topics. She is a frequent contributor to The Herb Companion.
Click here for the main article, The Best Foods to Reduce Cholesterol.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE