• 3/4 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
• 1 cup half-and-half or evaporated skim milk
• 2/3 cup chopped carrots, red pepper, and onion
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaved parsley
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon thyme or Mexican mint marigold or dill
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 6 ounces boned steamed salmon, flaked
• 3 eggs, or 1 egg and 2 egg whites
• Horseradish Sauce (see below)
• Minced flat-leaved parsley or sprig for garnish
Combine the bulgur and half-and-half or evaporated skim milk in a 1-quart glass measure. Cover with heavy-duty plastic wrap and vent. Microwave on High 3 to 31/2 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, sauté the vegetables with the garlic in a pan coated with cooking spray.
Combine the bulgur mixture, vegetables, and next seven ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Pack the mixture into a 5-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray or butter, pressing firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake, covered with aluminum foil (remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking), at 375° F for 35 to 45 minutes, or until cooked through but not dry. Serve a slice of the salmon loaf with a dollop of Horseradish Sauce on top and garnish with parsley.
• 8 ounces sour cream, or 4 ounces plain
• Low-fat yogurt and 4 ounces sour cream
• Freshly grated horseradish to taste
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped green onion
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Mix all ingredients together.
--Pam Hotch, Fairbanks, Alaska
For more recipes from Kitchen Table, click here.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE