• 3/4 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
• 1 cup half-and-half or evaporated skim milk
• 2/3 cup chopped carrots, red pepper, and onion
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaved parsley
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon thyme or Mexican mint marigold or dill
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 6 ounces boned steamed salmon, flaked
• 3 eggs, or 1 egg and 2 egg whites
• Horseradish Sauce (see below)
• Minced flat-leaved parsley or sprig for garnish
Combine the bulgur and half-and-half or evaporated skim milk in a 1-quart glass measure. Cover with heavy-duty plastic wrap and vent. Microwave on High 3 to 31/2 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, sauté the vegetables with the garlic in a pan coated with cooking spray.
Combine the bulgur mixture, vegetables, and next seven ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Pack the mixture into a 5-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray or butter, pressing firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake, covered with aluminum foil (remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking), at 375° F for 35 to 45 minutes, or until cooked through but not dry. Serve a slice of the salmon loaf with a dollop of Horseradish Sauce on top and garnish with parsley.
• 8 ounces sour cream, or 4 ounces plain
• Low-fat yogurt and 4 ounces sour cream
• Freshly grated horseradish to taste
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped green onion
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Mix all ingredients together.
--Pam Hotch, Fairbanks, Alaska
For more recipes from Kitchen Table, click here.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE