Try this delicious recipe for rose hip and apple compote.
Serves 6 to 8
This easy dish is always a hit at birthday, holiday, and dinner parties. For a special breakfast or brunch, serve the compote cold or hot over buckwheat pancakes or cornbread with butter, flax oil, or Fluffy Cashew Cream.
• 5 or 6 tart apples (use any variety except McIntosh)
• 1/2 cup cut-and-sifted rose hips, pits removed
• 1/3 cup unsulfured raisins
• 1/4 cup diced unsulfured dried peaches, optional
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup walnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds, chopped coarsely and toasted, or 1 cup Fluffy Cashew Cream (recipe follows)
1) Wash, halve, and core the apples. Grate one apple and cut the rest into bite-size chunks. Layer the rose hips, raisins, optional peaches, and apples in a large nonreactive pot, cover, and bring to a full boil. Simmer over medium-low heat without stirring for 20 to 35 minutes or until the fruit is tender but not mushy. Stir gently. If the mixture is soupy, simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid is gone.
2) Spoon the compote into individual dessert cups. Serve hot or at room temperature topped with nuts or Fluffy Cashew Cream.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, hands-on workshops, and great food!LEARN MORE