This roasted corn pudding recipe combines the flavor of corn on the cob with the sweetness of creamed corn and the lightness of a soufflé.
With "The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook," every cook will learn the simple, savory secrets of cast iron cookery. From the kitchens of Lodge, America’s leading manufacturer of cast iron cookware, this unique cookbook offers more than 200 mouth-watering recipes. The delectable dishes range from breakfast specials to the secrets of great fried food.
Photo Courtesy Oxmoor House
This roasted corn pudding recipe combines the flavor of corn on the cob with the sweetness of creamed corn and the lightness of a soufflé. Cook it in a cast iron skillet for a perfect dish that goes with everything! The recipe, courtesy of Oxford, Mississippi-based restaurateur and chef John Currence, is excerpted from The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook (Oxmoor House, 2012).
4 ears fresh corn with husks
1/4 cup chopped bacon
1/4 cup diced yellow onion
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 large eggs
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons masa harina
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 325. Place the unshucked ears of corn on the center rack of the oven and roast for 35 minutes. Let cool until they can be handled, then cut the kernels off the cobs (about 2 cups kernels). Set aside. Discard cobs. Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
2. Cook the bacon in a medium cast iron skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel to drain, reserving drippings in skillet.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the bacon drippings and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the jalapeno and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in the roasted corn and heat thoroughly.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and cream and cook until bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Remove from the heat and let cool briefly.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, masa, and cornstarch. Drizzle in the warm milk mixture, whisking constantly. Stir in the corn mixture until well blended. Stir in the thyme, sugar, and reserved bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared 12-inch skillet and bake until the center is still jiggly but set, about 25 minutes.
More Recipes from The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook:
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook, published by Oxmoor House, 2012.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE