Stuffs 4 average Cornish hens
• 1/2 cup rice
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 1/4–2 1/2 cups water
• 2 chicken broth cubes
• 1/3 cup barley
• 6–8 ounces fresh cranberries, with a little sugar to sweeten, or use berries from a 16-ounce can whole cranberry sauce with gel rinsed off
• 2 heaping teaspoons bitter orange marmalade, or 1 teaspoon marmalade and 1 teaspoon diced orange peel
• 2 tablespoons orange juice
• 1/3 cup raisins
• 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
• 2 teaspoons tarragon
• 1/2 teaspoon sweet marjoram
• 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
• Salt and pepper to taste
Brown the rice in the butter, then add 11/4 to 11/2 cups water and 1 chicken cube; cook until soft.
Cook barley in 1 cup water and second chicken cube for 45 minutes, or until tender .
If using fresh cranberries, cook briefly with a little sugar to soften somewhat and create a little juice.
Mix the remaining ingredients with the cooked rice and barley. Stuff the Cornish hens and cook according to instructions on the package. I like to brush the stuffed birds with melted butter and sprinkle with salt, pepper, crushed basil, and tarragon.
The stuffing may be frozen for future use.
Variation: Substitute sliced mushrooms for the raisins.
--Elke Amenda-Spirakis, Warwick, New York
For more recipes from Kitchen Table, click here.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE