These pork sausages were best with bergamot from the herb garden and autumn windfalls from our apple trees.
• Vegetable oil
• 2 large tart apples, sliced
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 1/2 pounds pork sausage links
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh bergamot leaves
• Apple cider
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the apples, onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil until soft. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside while you prepare the sausage.
2. Dredge the sausage links in the flour. In the same skillet, brown the sausages, adding more oil if necessary.
3. In a flameproof casserole, layer half the sausages, half the apples, the bergamot leaves, the remaining sausages and the remaining apples. Carefully pour 1 cup apple cider over all. Cover the casserole and simmer gently for about an hour, adding more apple cider if necessary to keep the sausages from sticking to the bottom of the dish. Serve with rice.
—Alison Bixler, Dover-Foxcroft, Maine
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE