This incredibly healthy pâté is delicious on crackers, sandwiches, celery stalks, or wrapped in lettuce leaves.
In order to make this easy vegan pâté, you'll need fresh lemon juice, garlic cloves, ginger root and a red onion, among other ingredients.
I came up with this recipe using the leftover juicer pulp from carrot, beet, ginger, and lemon juice. I make the tahini spread, mix in the pulp, and add celery, bell pepper, and spices. This incredibly healthy pâté is delicious on crackers, sandwiches, celery stalks, or wrapped in lettuce leaves. The key to playing with flavor is starting with less than you think you’ll need. It’s easier to add salt, vinegar, or spices than to undo too much of a flavor.
Tablespoon (not the measuring kind, but a large tableware spoon)
Biggest knife you have
2 tablespoons raw or cooked tahini
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
1/2 tablespoon sweetener (I recommend maple syrup)
1/4 to 1/2 small beet
1 to 2 pinches sea salt (steer clear of refined table salt)
2 to 3 turns of fresh-ground black pepper
1 to 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic
1/2-inch piece ginger
1/4 red onion (about 2 tablespoons)
1 stalk celery
1/4 bell pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix tahini, vinegar, lemon, and sweetener with a fork until well blended. Adjust ingredients to taste.
2. Grate carrots and beet. Place on cutting board and chop until the mixture is coarse yet well blended. Add to tahini mixture. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
3. Peel and chop garlic and ginger until fine. Mince red onion. Add to mixture in bowl.
4. Coarsely chop celery and bell pepper; add to mixture.
5. Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Taste. Experiment by adding more of any ingredient you wish—or leave out flavors altogether.
Pâté will last up to 4 days if refrigerated, but the sooner you eat it, the more nutrition and love you’ll receive from it.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE