Clockwise from top: Basil Salad with Radicchio; Toasted Almond and Citrus Quinoa; Marinated Grilled Vegetables with Black Sesame Seeds; and Rye Tostados with Avocado Pico de Gallo. (The dressing is an alternate way to present the rice-vinegar dressing for the Basil Salad.)
Vegetables are generally high in dietary fiber. Asparagus, artichokes, and onion can help alleviate elimination problems.
• 1 red onion
• 1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
• 1 bunch asparagus, washed with ends snapped
• 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts (4 oz.)
• 1 to 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
• 1 lime wedge
• 2 teaspoons toasted black sesame seeds (available in Asian groceries)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat the grill to medium heat. Peel the onion and slice it into 1/2-inch slices. Skewer a toothpick through each round so the onions will hold together on the grill. Add the olive oil to a large, flat dish; spread the asparagus in the dish in a single layer to coat them with the oil. Remove the asparagus to a serving platter; lay the onions in the oil to coat them lightly and remove them to the same platter. Drain the juice from the artichoke hearts into the olive oil. Mash the garlic and thyme into the oil with a fork.
2. Thread the artichoke hearts onto skewers, securing them through both the heart and leaf end. Put the onion rounds on the grill for 3 minutes. Turn the onions and then add the rest of the vegetables to the grill. (Make sure to lay the asparagus perpendicularly, or use a grill basket.)
3. Cook the vegetables about 3 to 5 minutes, rolling the asparagus frequently and turning the artichokes at least once. Place the asparagus back on the serving platter. Remove the other vegetables from the grill, toss them with the oil mixture in the dish, and arrange them decoratively on top of the asparagus. Squeeze the lime juice over the top. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Click here for the main article, Foods Rich In Fiber .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE