I use a basic beer bread recipe and add my own herb blend. You can make this with a soft drink, like root beer, cola or lemon-lime soda, but the flavor will not be as complex and yeasty as when you use a dark beer. The alcohol cooks out as the bread bakes. The lavender flowers give the bread a nutty texture.
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
• 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
• 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves, crumbled
• 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
• 12 ounces dark beer
• 1 teaspoon rolled oats, sunflower seeds or sesame seeds
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, herbs and cheddar in a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in beer and mix until combined.
3. Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan; top with rolled oats, raw sunflower seeds or sesame seeds.
4. Bake until golden-brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Contributing editor Jim Long lives and gardens in the Ozark Mountains.
Click here for the original article, Many Mints: Recipes and Growing Tips for Mint .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE