Clockwise from top: ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, green cardamom. Black tea is in front.
This is a yummy variation of kahwah, a Kashmiri green tea.
• 1½ cups cold water
• 2 heaping teaspoons green tea
• Seed of 1 cardamom pod
• 2 whole cloves
• 2 strands saffron (optional)
• 6 blanched almonds, chopped
• ½ cup milk
• 1 tablespoon honey
1. Combine water, tea, spices and almonds in small saucepan. Cook over low heat until hot (do not boil). Partially cover; steep over low heat 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in milk and honey.
2. Pour through fine wire-mesh strainer into warm teapot, discarding solids. Serve.
Garden writer and editor Vicki Mattern has been communicating the beauty and usefulness of plants for more than 20 years. She lives in eastern Pennsylvania.
Click here for the main article, Make Chai: 3 Recipes .
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE