Our family loves deviled eggs—our gatherings just aren’t complete without them. My grandmother used to make this dish for our get-togethers, but now my daughter, Lucie, has taken over as designated deviled egg chef. We vary the recipe depending on the season—in summer we add fresh tarragon or a tablespoon of fresh minced basil. Makes 24 deviled egg halves.
• 12 extra-large eggs, hard-cooked, halved lengthwise, yolks removed
• About 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
• 1 1/2 tablespoons finely snipped chives or dill
• 1 tablespoon chopped sweet pickles
• 1 tablespoon pickle juice
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 12 chive or dill sprigs (optional)
1. To prepare filling, mash yolks in a small bowl with a fork.
2. Add mayonnaise, mustard, chives, pickles, pickle juice, salt and pepper. Blend well. Divide filling among egg halves.
3. Sprinkle each half lightly with paprika and garnish with a small chive or dill sprig, if desired. Serve immediately or cover and chill. Serve slightly chilled.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE