These phyllo-wrapped asparagus spears make a delicious springtime finger food.
Even the pickiest eater will appreciate crowd-pleasing finger foods like Lemon-Parmesan Asparagus Spears in Phyllo.
Photo By Yvonne Duivenvoorden
These crispy asparagus spears will make a veggie lover out of anyone, and the mint aioli takes them over the top. Aim for the fattest asparagus you can find.
4 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 pieces phyllo dough, thawed overnight in the refrigerator
16 asparagus spears, coarse bottoms trimmed
Mint aioli (recipe follows) or high-quality mayonnaise mixed with minced mint and garlic
1. Mix Parmesan and lemon zest together in a bowl. Oil a sheet pan and set aside.
2. Place phyllo on counter and lightly rub each sheet with oil, then sprinkle half of each with 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture. Fold each sheet in half and cut it into eight 4-inch-wide pieces.
3. Place an asparagus spear diagonally across a piece of phyllo and roll to wrap asparagus in phyllo. Continue with all pieces. Place wrapped asparagus seam-side down on the prepared sheet pan. You can tightly wrap the pan and chill for up to 24 hours before baking.
4. Bake at 400 degrees until crisp and golden, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 16 asparagus spears.
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch cayenne
1/2 cup canola or light olive oil (not extra-virgin olive oil)
1/2 cup fresh mint
1. In a food processor, mince garlic until finely chopped.
2. Add yolk, lemon juice, salt and cayenne and puree to mix. Gradually drizzle in oil while machine is running.
3. Add mint and pulse to mix. Makes 1/2 cup mint aioli.
Note: If you prefer, mince garlic and mint and mix with 1/2 cup prepared high-quality mayonnaise.
Adapted from New Vegetarian by Robin Asbell
For more easy potluck recipes, read the original article, “Healthy, Easy Potluck Recipes for Summer Parties.”
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE