Try this healthy, herbal quiche.
Milkweed flower buds available a few weeks earlier in the season are a fine, broccoli-like substitute for the milkweed pods. If wild greens are not available, you can substitute chopped spinach. The use of cottage cheese reduces the number of eggs otherwise needed.
1. Mix together the liquids first, then add the dry ingredients. Press into a 10-inch pie pan. Bake 5 minutes in a preheated 425°F oven.
1. Lightly sauté the onion in the oil (do not brown), and place in the baked pie shell.
2. Next, add half the grated cheese, then all of the milkweed pods and lamb’s-quarters.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, herbs, and salt and pepper.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the pie shell and top with the remaining grated cheese.
5. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. If the top of the quiche browns too quickly, cover it with aluminum foil and continue baking. Let the quiche stand for a few minutes before serving.
Courtesy: Mariana S. Tupper, Newcastle, Maine
Click here for the original article, Kitchen Table: Recipes for Chicken with Goat Cheese, Wild Greens Quiche, Garden Pasta and Lemon Balm Cheesecake.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE