Makes 25 to 30 bars
Try these light and delicate bars and enjoy the hint of lavender and mint flavors.
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
• 1/2 cup unsifted confectioners’ sugar
• 2 teaspoons dried lavender blossoms
• 1 teaspoon crushed dried spearmint leaves
• 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 cup unsifted flour
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare an 8-inch-square baking pan by lining it with aluminum foil and coating the foil lightly with a vegetable-oil spray.
2. Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Stir in the sugar, lavender, spearmint, and cinnamon. Work in the flour and blend until the mixture is crumbly. Scrape it into the prepared pan and spread until level, pressing lightly to compact it evenly.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges. Gently lift both the foil and shortbread out of the pan onto a cutting surface. Slice the bars with a serrated knife. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed tin.
Irene Lewandowski, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE