This relish or chutney is an excellent accompaniment to savory snacks like samosas or can be used as a spicy sandwich spread. It will keep for a few days in the refrigerator. Makes 3/4 to 1 cup relish.
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1 cup cilantro leaves
• 1/4 cup mint leaves
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
• 1 small clove garlic
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• Salt to taste
• 2 green chilies (optional)
• 1 to 2 tablespoons dried coconut (optional)
1. Roast and grind cumin seeds. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Make a paste using a little water if necessary. If paste is a little runny add a few drops of olive oil to bind it. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
2. The chutney tastes even better the next day once all the flavors have melded.
Antara B. Mitra is a freelance writer and independent radio producer living in Manlius, New York. She loves traveling and sampling new foods.
Click here for the main article, The Aroma of Indian Cuisine .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE