Makes 6 servings
Savory vegetable soup is a traditional way of incorporating astragalus, garlic and medicinal mushrooms into your diet.
• 1 ounce dried astragalus root slices
• 1⁄2-inch piece fresh gingerroot, slivered
• 1⁄4 cup brown basmati rice
• 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
• 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
• 1 cup winter squash, chopped
• 1 cup shiitake or maitake mushrooms, sliced
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
• 2 tablespoons light miso, or to taste
• 8 medium cloves garlic, minced
• 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1. Simmer astragalus, ginger, rice and stock in a heavy covered pot for 1 hour.
2. Sauté onion, squash and mushrooms in olive oil for 5 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
3. Add sautéed vegetable mixture to the soup pot, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add corn; simmer an additional 10 minutes. Remove astragalus.
4. Dilute miso in a small amount of hot broth and add to soup. Thin soup with additional broth if desired and add more miso to taste.
5. Add garlic and parsley, let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
Laurel Vukovic writes from her home in southern Oregon. She is the author of 1001 Natural Remedies (DK, 2003) and Herbal Healing Secrets for Women (Prentice Hall, 2000).
Click here for the main article, How to Boost Your Immune System .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE