Presto means fast: This pesto can be made in 15 minutes or less! Parsley and cilantro are dark, leafy herbs that are both plentiful and budget-friendly. Yogurt provides calcium while reducing the high fat in traditional pestos. This recipe adds fantastic flavor to any pasta or whole grains. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for even more calcium, unless you are watching the acidity in your diet.
• 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves (or other leafy herbs)
• 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 to 2 cloves fresh minced garlic or 1 tablespoon garlic granules
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime or key lime juice
• 2 tablespoons non-fat yogurt
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, walnut or canola oil
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Transfer to a food processor and blend for about a minute or so until smooth. Stop and scrape sides as needed. If using fresh garlic, drop through funnel while motor is running.
2. Use immediately to coat cooked pasta or whole grains, or refrigerate and use within a week.
A healthy-living writer and photographer, Letitia L. Star has written more than 1,000 published articles, including many features on healthy eating and gardening.
Click here for the main article, How to Get Stronger Bones with Herbal Foods.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE