Our Homemade Cream Cheese recipe is decadent and relatively quick and simple to make.
This easy, quick method for making cream cheese yields creamy, rich results. To mold the cream cheese, spoon it into molds and refrigerate until firm. Unmold the cheeses, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
• 6 cups whole milk
• 4 cups heavy cream
• 1 cup plain cultured yogurt
• 1 rennet tablet
• 1/4 cup cool (55- to 60-degree) water
1. Combine milk, cream and yogurt in a large pot and stir well. Warm to 100 degrees over low heat. Remove pan from heat.
2. Dissolve rennet tablet in water in a small bowl. Add to warmed milk mixture, and stir thoroughly for 3 minutes. Cover and let stand for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until curds are firm and break away from the sides of the pan. The temperature should drop no lower than 85 degrees. If it does, slowly reheat to correct temperature.
3. Cut curds into 2-inch cubes. Let stand 15 minutes undisturbed. Line a colander with a double layer of butter muslin. Pour or, using a perforated shallow ladle, spoon the mixture into a lined strainer. Fold excess cloth over curds and set colander in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate to drain 8 hours or overnight.
4. Transfer the drained cheese to a clean bowl, season to taste with salt, and stir well. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE