Makes about 3 dozen
When she was in her early teens, Nancy devised this rich, buttery drop cookie that we have been making for more than thirty years. It’s always a favorite at The Rosemary House parties. If we’re in a hurry, we substitute the contents of a couple of mint tea bags for the dried mint leaves.
• 1 cup butter (or 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening)
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
• 2 tablespoons crushed dried mint leaves
• 2 cups flour
1. Cream the butter and sugar. Add the salt, extract, mint leaves, and flour. Mix thoroughly. Chill the dough for 1 hour, or until it is firm enough to handle.
2. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Form the dough into 1-inch balls and roll them in sugar. Press each ball with your thumb. Place them on ungreased baking sheets and bake 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on racks.
3. For variety, you could add chocolate chips or nuts, roll the balls of dough in mint sugar, or glaze the baked cookies with pale green icing or melted milk-chocolate candy. Or you could substitute orange extract for the peppermint extract and fresh or dried calendula flowers for the mint leaves. Frost with an orange glaze and sprinkle calendula petals on top.
Bertha Reppert and her family have been introducing other people to the pleasures of herbs for more than twenty-five years. All manner of herbal sweets and treats are standard fare at the family-owned Rosemary House in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, one of America’s oldest herb shops. Bertha is also an author and teacher of renown in the herb world. Her daughter Nancy owns Sweet Remembrances, a teahouse and catering service that specializes in herb cookery with edible flowers. Through countless garden parties, afternoon teas, and workshops, the Repperts have developed a large repertoire of special recipes, from which these cookie concoctions are drawn.
Click here for the main article, Herbs in the Cookie Jar .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE