Enjoy homemade breads with our herbal soups.
SERVES 4 to 6
• 1 pound turkey Italian sausage, chopped
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 3 cups chicken broth
• 1 cup water
• 2 cups chopped carrots
• 4 cups cubed potatoes (Yukon Gold, white or red)
• 8 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1⁄2 head)
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
• 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
• 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1⁄3 cup finely chopped, lightly packed fresh basil
1. In a large pot on medium heat, cook sausage and onions about 10 minutes, until onions are soft and sausage is cooked through; drain any fat. Add broth, water, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and next 3 herbs. Bring to a boil, stir, then simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are done.
2. Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Add salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in basil.
Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor to The Herb Companion. She cooks and gardens in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Warm Up With Herbal Soups.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE