Enjoy homemade breads with our herbal soups.
SERVES 4 to 6
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cups sliced leeks
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
• 1 1⁄2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 4 ounces arugula leaves, chopped (about 2 cups loosely packed)
• 1⁄4 cup minced fresh chives
• Sour cream or yogurt (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat oil and sauté leeks for 5 minutes or until softened. Add salt, pepper, potatoes and chicken broth.
2. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3. Place half or all of the potato-leek mixture—depending on whether you like your soup to be slightly chunky or fully smooth—and puree in a blender, food processor or with a hand mixer until smooth.
4. Add the puree, arugula and chives to the pot and simmer, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Ladle into individual soup bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt, if desired.
Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor to The Herb Companion. She cooks and gardens in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Warm Up With Herbal Soups.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE