We gave this pork and cabbage pizza a pretty galette-style crust.
Fennel and celery seed bring a tasty earthy flavor to lean pork, which is perfectly balanced with cabbage and fresh sage. MAKES ONE 15-INCH PIZZA
• 1 (12- to 14-ounce) prepared pizza dough
• 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
• 2 teaspoons fennel seed, divided
• 1 teaspoon celery seed, divided
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 8 ounces lean pork (such as top loin), cut into strips or bite-sized pieces
• 4 cups sliced green cabbage
• 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded gruyére cheese
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out dough to fit a large nonstick baking pan or pizza screen. Baste crust with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil; set aside.
2. Combine wheat germ, 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/2 teaspoon celery seed and salt in a large plastic bag; shake until combined. Add pork cubes or strips and shake to coat with the herb mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add pork and cook, turning often, about 7 to 9 minutes. Remove pork from skillet and set aside.
3. Using same skillet, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add cabbage, garlic and sugar along with remaining 1 teaspoon fennel seed and 1/2 teaspoon celery seed. Cook 2 to 4 minutes or until cabbage is slightly wilted. Add balsamic vinegar and cook 1 minute more; set aside.
4. Sprinkle both cheeses evenly over pizza crust. Arrange herb-crusted pork and cabbage mixture over crust, spreading to the edges. Top with fresh sage. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden and cheese is bubbly.
Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor who wrangles her herb garden in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Prepare Herbal Pizza Combinations.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE