With hints of licorice, mint and clove, fresh basil brings pizzazz to everyday pizza. MAKES ONE 15- TO 16-INCH PIZZA
• 1 (15-ounce) prepared pizza dough
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips or bite-sized pieces
• 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
• 6 ounces baby spinach
• 3/4 to 1 cup prepared pizza sauce
• 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
• 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
• 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut into strips
• 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Roll out pizza dough to fit a large non-stick baking pan or pizza screen; set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for several minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken and mushrooms to a bowl, leaving juices in the pan. Add spinach and sauté until spinach is wilted. Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet with spinach and mix; set aside.
3. To make pizza, spread sauce over crust just up to the edges. Sprinkle both cheeses evenly over the sauce. Arrange chicken/mushroom/spinach mixture evenly over crust. Top with red onion, fresh basil and thyme. Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden.
Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor who wrangles her herb garden in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Prepare Herbal Pizza Combinations.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE