Throw the ultimate holiday party this season—it’s easier than you think.
Mark Baltzley Photography
This gorgeous dish not only seduces the eye with its splash of color, it’s actually terrifically good for you, with antioxidants and immune boosters galore. If this doesn’t get your inner Italian going, you’re just about a hopeless case.
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
• 4 red bell peppers, each cut into 16 slices
• 4 yellow bell peppers, each cut into 16 slices
• 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, torn in pieces
• 2 sprigs fresh oregano
• ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 2 cloves garlic, shaved thin
• Fresh herbs, for garnish
1. Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add peppers and cook until soft.
2. Add basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add garlic and sauté 4 to 5 more minutes.
3. Remove from heat and cool. Drizzle with remaining ¼ cup olive oil and garnish with fresh herbs. Chill and serve with crispy Italian crackers.
Allison Martin is associate editor of The Herb Companion. She enjoyed tasting her way through this story.
For the main article, An Herbal Feast for the Holiday Season, click here.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE