Throw the ultimate holiday party this season—it’s easier than you think.
• 1 box yellow cake mix
• 1 box instant vanilla pudding
• ½ cup corn oil
• ¼ cup water
• ¾ cup Applecello Liqueur (see recipe below)
• 4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
• Powdered sugar and 15 minced mint leaves
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients and bake in a well-greased bundt pan for 1 hour.
2. Poke a few holes in the top of the cake with a toothpick as soon as you pull it from the oven, then pour glaze (see recipe below) over cake.
3. Once the cake has cooled, sift powdered sugar on top and sprinkle with fresh mint.
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• ¾ cup butter
• ½ cup Applecello Liqueur (see recipe below)
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil and stir until smooth and shiny—just a minute or so.
2. Pour over Mint & Applecello Cake.
Makes about 1 gallon
• 1 gallon apple cider
• 1 package mulling spices
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 liter vodka
1. Bring cider, mulling spices and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
2. Add vodka and remove from heat. Cool.
3. Place in mason jars and let sit 1 week in refrigerator.
4. Strain mulling spices before serving.
Allison Martin is associate editor of The Herb Companion. She enjoyed tasting her way through this story.
For the main article, An Herbal Feast for the Holiday Season, click here.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE