Spread the garden’s flavor with herbal butters .
Creamy herbal butters are a delicious way to capture the flavor of the garden.
This butter can be used on breads, scones, vegetables or as a sandwich spread. Try pansies, violets or roses for sweet butter, nasturtiums for a peppery flavor, and basil, chive or sage blossoms for a savory flavor.
• 1 cup fresh, pesticide-free flower petals
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
• Pinch of salt (optional)
1. Finely chop flower petals.
2. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Mix well, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Use leftovers within 1 week.
Theresa Loe is always creating new herbal recipes and crafts for her annual calendar, The Herbal Calendar (Tide-Mark Press). It is illustrated by Peggy Turchette, who also illustrated this column. You can link to Theresa's website at the Friends of The Herb Companion page on our website, www.herbcompanion.com/contributors.aspx.ol
Click here for the main article, Herbs in the Pantry: Herbal Butters.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE