For best flavor, use young, tender leaves—especially for arugula as the older leaves are unquestionably spicier and sometimes bitter. SERVES 4 TO 6
• 4 ounces arugula leaves (about 5 cups, packed)*
• 5 ounces spinach leaves (about 6 cups, packed)*
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
• 3 to 4 scallions, sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
• 1/2 cup toasted walnuts**
• 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
* Young, baby leaves can be left whole; tear older, larger leaves in bite-size pieces
** Toast walnuts in a skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
1. Prepare and wash arugula and spinach leaves, then transfer to serving bowl and set aside. Heat oil in small skillet or saucepan over medium heat and sauté mushrooms, scallions and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar and lemon pepper, stirring until heated through.
2. Pour hot dressing immediately over spinach and arugula, tossing until greens are thoroughly coated. Sprinkle toasted nuts and feta cheese; toss to combine.
Contributing Editor Kris Wetherbee tends her herbs in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Harvest Garlic Like a Pro.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE