Savor seasonal flavors with this nutty dessert ball. It's a great way to get all the vegetable protein from your favorite nuts and seeds. MAKES 30 BALLS
• 2 cups nuts or seeds
• 1/2 cup carob or chocolate powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
• 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
• 1/2 cup raisins
• 2 tablespoons almond butter or tahini
• 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. If using a large nut (such as almond, walnut or pecan) grind the nuts in a blender or food processor.
2. In a large bowl, put 1 cup of nuts or seeds, the carob or chocolate powder, cinnamon, cardamom and raisins. In a separate bowl, put all the other ingredients, except the remaining 1 cup of nuts, and mix well. Now mix the 2 bowls of wet and dry ingredients (except for the remaining nuts or seeds) together and stir.
3. Form into 1/2-inch diameter balls with your fingers and roll each ball into the remaining nuts or seeds to cover. Store in the refrigerator.
Brigitte Mars, an herbalist and nutritional consultant from Boulder, Colorado, has been working with natural medicine for thirty-three years. Her tapes, through Sounds True, are called The Herbal Renaissance and Natural Remedies for a Healthy Immune System. She is the author of Addiction Free Naturally (Healing Arts, 2001), Natural First Aid (Storey, 1999), Dandelion Medicine (Storey, 1999) and Sex, Love and Health (Basic Health, 2002). Visit her website at brigittemars.com .
Click here for the original article, Get Healthy with Nuts and Seeds.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE