Try this spread with meats, grilled chicken, and vegetables, on sandwiches, and in salads.
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 egg
• 4–7 garlic cloves to taste
• 1/2 cup tightly packed Spicy Globe or lemon basil leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice or cider vinegar
• Dash sugar
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• 2/3 cup olive oil
Put all ingredients except the olive oil in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade. Puree for 1 minute, then slowly add the olive oil with the machine still running. Stop as soon as all the olive oil has been added and the oil has emulsified. Do not overblend. A tablespoon of hot water blended into the finished mayonnaise will stabilize it.
--Karen Potter Morrione, Atlanta, Georgia
For more recipes from Kitchen Table, click here.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE