The addition of fines herbes and cream turns simple scrambled eggs into a sublime brunch dish. SERVES 6
• 12 large eggs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon minced chervil
• 1 teaspoon minced parsley
• 1 teaspoon minced tarragon
• 1 teaspoon minced chives
• 3 tablespoons heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons butter
1. Break eggs into large mixing bowl, reserving 2 yolks in a separate bowl. Whisk together eggs, salt and pepper. Combine herbs and divide in half. Whisk together cream and reserved egg yolks.
2. Melt butter in a heavy nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Add eggs from large bowl and cook, stirring constantly, until they begin to thicken. Add yolk-and-cream mixture and half of fines herbes to slightly thickened eggs. Remove from heat but continue to stir constantly. The heat from the pan will continue to cook the eggs.
3. When cooked but still creamy, serve immediately, garnished with remaining herbs.
Leda Meredith teaches both gardening and botany classes in New York, specializing in edible and medicinal plants.
Click here for the main article, Fines Herbes: A Fresh Look at a Classic Combination .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE